Alhumdillah! What an amazing month!
This month of Ramadan was certainly a month of blessings, mercy and generosity.
So much awareness, support and first-time-ever initiatives occurred for the Deaf Muslim Community in Sydney!
I can’t be grateful enough or fathom all that is happening !! Alhumdillah!
Here are some of the things that happened:
1) Sydney Deaf Community Ramadan iftar (Dinner) held again for Deaf Muslims and their family and friends!
2) Quran in Auslan (Australian Sign Language) launched!
3) We were invited to community iftars!
4) Facebook live / video lectures with Auslan interpreter!
5) Auslan interpreters hired in mosques for Layult al Qadr (Night of Power) and other Ramadan programs!
6) I started a hashtag #makemosquesaccessible!
7) Eid Festival! For the first time ever, we had a Muslim Deaf Community Stall at 2 Eid Festivals in Sydney!
8) Q&A with Sheikh + Auslan! First time ever, a special opporutntiy for Deaf Community to ask questions about Islam!
9) More events coming soon! Check out:
10) Overall, so much more awareness, support and connections with different organisations, mosques and Islamic centres were created for the Sydney Deaf Muslim Community in Sydney.
So much amazing things have happened, and all we can do is Thank God (Allah SWT). Also, thank you to long term supporters and special people who have been active in assitsing me with many of these!
All these changes have been a team effort, and I played a small, sometimes big, role in these changes.
I have been advocating and trying to create awareness and events over the last few years, and while there have been significant successes, it is nothing on this scale and this much on such a short period of time.
“But they plan, and Allah plans. And Allah is the best of planners.”( Surah Al-Anfal [8:30])
Alhumdillah and inshaAallah looking foward to more!